Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Mating Season

Thanks to Little Ma.. -er I mean evilbiologist- who submitted a great primer on cohabitating with coons. I did raise my eyebrows when I came to this part though:

The female raccoon acts somewhat differently. She comes into heat in January. When in heat she's extremely friendly to everyone [slutty]. However, when her heat cycle ends, she turns suddenly viscious. This is the time in nature when she'd drive the male 'coon away from her den after three weeks of cohabitation. For a short time she'll try to drive humans away too. It's probable someone may get bitten for no apparent reason. Gradually she'll calm down as her hormonal level decreases, and she'll become your loving pet again.
Unfortunately, if she doesn't become pregnant in January, she may come into heat again in March or April and the cycle repeats itself. The second cycle is usually milder than the first.

4 comments:

Gary said...

my cycles gradually become stronger it seems

maybe i'm not part racoon

Evil Biologist said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Evil Biologist said...

can't you just spay/neuter them?

Vagrunt said...

I left the litter box up there. I say if they use it, they can stay. They're our best bet against the roof rats.

Now if we can just get them to go downstairs...